[Python-ideas] Python3.3 Decimal Library Released

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:52:01 CET 2014

On 3 March 2014 15:41, Mark H. Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
> Python3.3 Decimal Library v0.3 is Released here:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/pythondecimallibrary/
>
> pdeclib.py is the decimal library, pilib.py is the PI library.
>
> pdeclib.py  provides scientific and transcendental functions
> for the C Accelerated Decimal module written by Stefan Krah. The
> library is open source, GLPv3, comprised of two py files.
>
> My idea for python is to two things really, 1) make floating point decimal
> the default floating point type in python4.x,

This is an interesting suggestion. It's hard to judge how much code
would be broken by such an explicit change. A preliminary less
controversial step would just be to introduce decimal literals e.g
1.23d.

> and 2) make
> these functions ( pdeclib.py ) or equiv available in python4.x by
> default.

If there was a desire to add these then there's no reason why they
would have to wait until the (hypothetical) release of Python 4.x.
However I doubt that they would be accepted without having first spent
some time maturing on PyPI and certainly not without unit tests.

Oscar