[Python-ideas] Python Numbers as Human Concept Decimal System

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Mar 5 13:04:10 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 11:29:10AM +0000, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> I don't agree with Mark's proposal in this thread but I would like to
> have decimal literals e.g. 1.23d,

+1 on that. Although that will depend on how big a slowdown it causes to
Python's startup time.

> and I would also use Fraction
> literals if available e.g. 1/3F.

Out of curiosity, why F rather than f?

(By the way, I think it is somewhat amusing that Python not only has a
built-in complex type, but also *syntax* for creating complex numbers,
but no built-in support for exact rationals.)

--
Steven