[Python-ideas] Please reconsider the Boolean evaluation of midnight

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:42:32 CET 2014

On 5 March 2014 15:08, Yann Kaiser <kaiser.yann at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Let me show you an actual zero:
>
>     if event.num_attendants:
>         prepare_cake()
>     else:
>         cancel_event()
>
> When no one is coming to your party, is is clearly a different
> condition than if any number of people are coming to your event.  When
> you read "if num_attendants", you can clearly tell this is going to do
> something depending on if people are coming or not.

I'm sorry, are you really trying to say that the above code is better than

    if event.num_attendants != 0:
        prepare_cake()
    else:
        cancel_event()

?

(Personally, I'd actually prefer something like "if
event.num_attendants > 0" or switch the order of clauses and test for
being equal to 0, but that's a minor issue. The major point is I'd
prefer any of these to your version).

Paul