[Python-ideas] Please reconsider the Boolean evaluation of midnight

Ryan Hiebert ryan at ryanhiebert.com
Wed Mar 5 17:38:56 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS One final point, and I'll say this one last time and then shut up.
> I have no objection to making Python better. Nor do I insist that
> backward compatibility should never be broken. Nor do I wish Python
> were Java. Nor do I discount the issue of hard to find bugs. But
> equally, I don't think Python is perfect, nor do I think that this
> behaviour is ideal. I also don't think that the core developers have
> infinite time, nor do I think that every wart in Python needs to be
> fixed. And I trust the core developers to make the right judgements
> most of the time. All anyone should infer from this discussion is that
> I don't think that reopening the bug report referred to by the OP is
> productive. (You may also assume from the fact that I will drop out of
> this discussion now, that I no longer think that this thread is
> particularly productive :-()

Thanks for bringing this up. Even assuming that this was accepted as a bug,
it's an entirely separate discussion to decide whether worth fixing or if
it's worth the dev's time. I make no assertion on that, as that's their
time and not mine. I hold the developers with highest regard, even in my
disagreement. Python is my language of choice because of the effort of
these folks, and I thank them.

This seems like it could be a simple enough bug that were it allowed, it
would be a fix that even someone as inexperienced with Python's internals
as myself could fix. If that's not true and the issue is that it's simply
too much work to change, then it should be marked "wontfix" rather than
"invalid", and that's a decision that I would not contest (at least not
without a working patch).

I, like you, suspect that I will be abandoning further involvement, as
simply arguing won't change people's minds.