[Python-ideas] Please reconsider the Boolean evaluation of midnight

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 20:19:11 CET 2014

On 05/03/2014 19:06, Amber Yust wrote:
> It was closed by one or two individuals, and there has been significant
> comment since then. Asking to revisit a decision isn't crazy, and there
> have been reasonable suggestions made. I don't see a lack of core dev
> "jumping upon" as an active indication that patches would be rejected;
> merely that core devs are unlikely to produce such a patch themselves.
>
> On Mar 5, 2014 11:00 AM, "Mark Lawrence"
> <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/03/2014 18:26, Amber Yust wrote:
>
>         Where did you see an indication that a patch would not be accepted?
>
>         On Mar 5, 2014 10:24 AM, "Mark Lawrence"
>         <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
>         <mailto:breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>
>         <mailto:breamoreboy at yahoo.co.__uk
>         <mailto:breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>>>
>         wrote:
>
>              On 05/03/2014 18:12, Amber Yust wrote:
>
>                  I think this is the wrong stage to evaluate cost. After
>         all, one
>                  of the
>                  tenets of open source is that the core devs don't have
>         to be the
>                  source
>                  of all change.
>

>              But the core devs have to review the change and ultimately
>         decide
>              whether or not to commit it.  In this case it looks as if a
>         patch
>              would not be accepted, so why keep going on about it,
>         especially
>              when there's a known work around?
>
>              --
>              My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for
>         you, ask
>              what you can do for our language.
>
>              Mark Lawrence
>
>              ---
>
>     http://bugs.python.org/__issue13936
>     <http://bugs.python.org/issue13936> has been closed as invalid and I
>     don't see a rush of core devs backing this proposal.

There can be lots of comments by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II or
President Obama but they don't really count unless they put forward
arguments to pursuade the core devs to change their minds about this
issue. I see no evidence here that this is likely to happen, or do the
core devs all come to life at the same time as they're all in the same
time zone?  A patch can be placed on the issue but if a core dev reviews
and it and decides not to commit it nothing happens?