[Python-ideas] Python Numbers as Human Concept Decimal System

Mark H. Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 22:37:31 CET 2014

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:36:46 AM UTC-6, Stefan Krah wrote:

> As I understand, you are suggesting some kind of number system with
> symbolic representations that can be converted to decimal if needed.
>
> The topic is so vast that the only chance of it happening is for
> someone to provide an implementation on PyPI and see if people
> like it.  There are packages for symbolic mathematics like sympy,
> perhaps that is a start.

       Yes, that is correct (in a way). I will respond to this better when
I respond to Guido, so be sure to read that post.

> Regarding decimal literals:
>
> Possible in 3.x, but it would require some investigation if
> people really want arbitrary precision arithmetic by default
> rather than e.g. IEEE Decimal64.

       Good.  Dialogue is a good thing. Looking forward to it.

Regarding decimal floats by default:

> Perhaps in 4.0, but IMO only with *full* backing by the large SciPy
> and NumPy communities. My guess is that it's not going to happen, not
> in the least because the literature for floating point algorithms
> (with proofs!) has an overwhelming focus on binary floating point.

       I know.  Again, when I respond to Guido I'll address this a bit.

   Thanks Stefan, I appreciate your inputs, and your work... keep it up!

marcus