[Python-ideas] Please reconsider the Boolean evaluation of midnight

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 02:51:48 CET 2014

[Donald Stufft]

[Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>]
> Repeating events need their own handling. Maybe it's safe to use
> 11:30AM local time, but what if you specify 1:30AM America/New_York?
> How can you render that onto a calendar? There'll be times when it
> breaks - one day a year when it's ambiguous, and one day a year when
> it doesn't exist. How can you work with a time that might not exist?

Filling in the blanks, I presume that Donald's "EST" is what the docs
call a "fixed-offset" tzinfo subclass:  it represents a fixed offset
from UTC.  It's what a US East Coast clock would look like if the
idiotic ;-) "daylight saving" rules were repealed, and the East Coast
stayed on "standard" time forever.

Such classes are utterly problem-free.  No ambiguities, no clock
leaping ahead or leaping back, no "missing" hours, no "duplicate"
hours, they just march on forever in perfect lockstep with UTC.

Alas, such classes are also rare.