[Python-ideas] Please reconsider the Boolean evaluation of midnight

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 05:38:02 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I were dictator of the world, I would ban DST. And 12-hour times. And MDY date formats. In fact, I would probably ban timezones. How hard would it be to learn that on the east coast you work from 0400-1200, not 9:00am-5:00pm?

Fortunately, you don't have to be dictator of the whole world. As
admin of Minstrel Hall (minstrelhall.com), I simply made the
declaration that all campaign times would be listed in UTC. That
effectively bans DST and timezones. The in-game clock uses 24-hour
time, so a lot of people follow that. Most things happen on a weekly
cycle, so I haven't done anything about MDY (the in-game clock
currently reads "Fri 04:36:05"), but again, I would personally use YMD
most likely, and a lot of people will just follow that.

Let's start creating pockets like that all over the place. Train
people to manage international events in UTC. Eventually the benefits
will start to be more visible :)

ChrisA