[Python-ideas] Python Numbers as Human Concept Decimal System

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sat Mar 8 22:43:50 CET 2014

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> I wonder what Cowlishaw would say about our current discussion. He is also the
> father of Rexx...

It's in the second paragraph here:

http://speleotrove.com/decimal/daconvs.html

My reading is that he prefers exact conversions (if possible).  This does not
surprise me:  Cowlishaw is a proponent of using all information from overlong
inputs, which all functions of the specification do (he recently mentioned in
a private mail that earlier versions of the specification did not have this
feature and it was initially added for Java's BigDecimal -- he called it
"an improvement").

Stefan Krah