[Python-ideas] Python Numbers as Human Concept Decimal System

Mark H. Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 20:00:14 CET 2014

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 1:10:41 AM UTC-6, Mark H. Harris wrote:

>   this is one of Mike Cowlishaw's papers regarding decimal
> floating point, hardware decimal floating point, and the IEEE 854 1987
> standard,
> and other topics.  He mentions the TI89, and others, that use decimal
> floating
> point arithmetic, with citations.
>
> http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~nr/cs257/archive/mike-cowlishaw/decimal-arith.pdf

In the course of this thread I have mentioned Michael Cowlishaw's Rexx, and
my
work at IBM;  for one thing adding a library of decimal floating point
routines for
use with VM370 Rexx which provides the scientific and transcendental
functions
for the now arcane 370 system.  I found one of the scripts in my archive
and
uploaded it to code.google.com for historical purposes and perspective. If
anyone
is interested it can be found here:

https://code.google.com/p/rexxdecimallibrary/

Cheers