[Python-ideas] PEP feedback loop (with tracker account)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 17:13:32 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For example, on the page
>> http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0231/
>> the field "Status: Rejected" can be linkified to bring up a
>> popup window with short info about quantity of people who
>> approved the PEP (content details can be extended later).
>
> By "approved" do you mean those who wish it hadn't been rejected? I
> don't think that's terribly useful, and it implies a democratic
> approach to Python's development, which doesn't exist. More useful
> might be for the "Status: Rejected" to link to a python-dev post
> formally rejecting it, but that's about all. Can you elaborate on both
> what this would show, and how it would be useful?

By "approved" I mean that people sign the specific PEP version as
"fully read and agree with all the clauses". For example, I don't have
time to read PEPs thoroughly and I wonder how many people have.
There might be a problem that PEPs don't receive enough exposure
and timely feedback. I don't know - it is uncertain.

Also having some kind of recorded "achievement" will help to get some
motivation to do thorough reviews.

Also many people don't imagine how many heads are working on a
single PEP and think that there are a lot of people already. It may be
that knowing the stats they will be more interested to contribute.

The fourth reason is that this basic feedback system can be extended
to include specific facts to be addressed, but that out of scope for now.
--
anatoly t.