[Python-ideas] PEP feedback loop (with tracker account)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 08:35:30 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> anatoly techtonik writes:
>
>  > It is not that hard to implement an approval function for
>  > the PEP site (to improve the visibility and the process).
>
> I gather you mean "thumbs up/down" buttons.

It is not primitive "thumbs up/down" button and not voting.
The feedback loop goal to get information about community
awareness - not for making decision to accept or reject a
proposal. Therefore it is not democracy.

The approval is not a simple boolean - it is the status object,
which contains fields to make feedback loop actually useful,
and may provide information, such as:

  1. LGTM
  2. Have questions
  3. Have comments
  4. Will watch later
  5. tl;dr
  6. meh
  7. .... <link> to discussion
  8. ...

The status sums up opinion for a given person at a given
moment. Benefits:

  - see who is interested
  - see who was able to review
  - see who was able to read it
  - see which version has questions

I don't want to get into much featurecreeping, which is
incrementally possible.

Will that idea be useful for Python community?

> Links to the discussion (or perhaps even blog posts of folks who
> strongly dissent) are far more relevant.

This can be added, so that folks can tie their posts to PEP
feedback loop.

  9. Dissent <link>
  (new word for me, sounds strange)

--