[Python-ideas] Browser for mailing lists

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 00:37:02 CEST 2014

On 31 Mar 2014 08:22, "Cameron Simpson" <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:

> On 30Mar2014 08:05, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 30 March 2014 06:54, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > > Richard Prosser <richard.prosser at mail.com> writes:
> > > We have generally-appicable services that index the web and make much
> > > better search tools. I don't often find a site's own custom search
tool
> > > to be sufficiently better to use it, when DuckDuckGo is available.
> >
> > That said, migrating to Mailman3 + HyperKitty is definitely in the
> > longer term plans for the python.org mailing list infrastructure, and
> > that includes integrated search on the HyperKitty side of things.
> >
> > While Mailman3 has been an ongoing project for quite some time (I
> > believe the remaining blockers mostly relate to handling migrations of
> > existing Mailman 2 installations), the HyperKitty work is mostly being
> > driven by some Fedora folks in order to upgrade Fedora's own
> > infrastructure. You can see the current state of the prototype here:
> > https://lists.stg.fedoraproject.org/archives/
>
> Please tell me Mailman3 still includes the pipermail stuff still.

Mailman3 includes a pluggable archiver model - that's how HyperKitty can be
a separate project, specifically aimed at tackling the "seamless web
gateway" problem.

> That gets me:
>
>   - local search of local data
>     access when offline, privacy, speed, whatever tools or indices I
prefer

>   - search tools of my choosing (eg mairix or mu), including the
>     search facilities of my mail reader
>
>   - using my mail reader search lets me read messages in my _preferred_
form,
>     as it would for anyone else using their preferrer mail reader
>
> Without an archive download, this is all far far less useful.

The pluggable archiver model in MM3 means HyperKitty itself doesn't need to
handle that usage model. However, I'm not aware of any current efforts to
create an MM3 archiver that is closer to a pure pipermail replacement (the
workflow you describe strikes me as being incredibly unusual these days, as
it requires either running your own mail server, or only accessing your
email from one device)

Cheers,
Nick.