[Python-ideas] Browser for mailing lists

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Mar 31 20:27:03 CEST 2014

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 13:44:52 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Discussing specifics of Mailman 3 and archives is off-topic for this list, so
> I won't post a huge amount of detail.  Everyone is welcome to come to the
> mailman-developers list to further interact with us.

I understand that, but is it actually required for simple feedback as
a mere Web user?

> My personal favorite combination for drive-by engagements, historical archive
> access, convenience, and inbox sanity is the NNTP API for Gmane.  My primary
> MUA (claws-mail) is perfectly at home with NNTP and while mailing lists have
> to explicitly opt-in to Gmane, once they do, it can import the archive.

I also use claws-mail with Gmane NNTP, and I like it.
However, it's not really adequate for casual browsing of mailing-lists
you don't usually read, or for browsing of private mailing-lists with
protected archives, or for giving out hyperlinks to individual
mailing-list messages.

About Hyperkitty, I have to say that the following kind of UI, while
seemingly "nifty", is IMHO a massive step back from pipermail's ease of
use:
https://lists.stg.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/389-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/

pipermail's dead simple threaded view is, ironically, the best UI I've
ever seen for *browsing* mailing-lists (Google Groups are a disaster in
that regard, and Hyperkitty seems to be heading in the same direction
as Google Groups). I would really hate to have to deal with
Hyperkitty's current UI on a daily basis.

Regards

Antoine.