[Python-ideas] Add __parent__ to all classes, functions, and modules

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Sun Oct 5 20:09:15 CEST 2014

Neil Girdhar <mistersheik at ...> writes:

> Many classes, functions, and modules are defined within the context of
another class, function, or module thereby forming a mathematical forest of
declarations.  It is possible to walk the descendants using __dict__ (for
classes and modules), but not the ancestors.  I propose adding __parent__
that would be filled at the same time that __qualname__ is filled in.

This is unlikely to work.

1) It turns basically everything into a cycle.
2) __qualname__ is determined strictly from syntax, whereas __parent__ could
not be. For example, what happens if I take a method from one class and set
it on another? __parent__ would not be well-defined.

Regards,
Benjamin