[Python-ideas] issubclass(collections.OrderedDict, collections.Sequence)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Oct 8 01:50:17 CEST 2014

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 11:13:57PM +0300, Ram Rachum wrote:
> You're right, I didn't think of that case. So the best definition I can
> come up with is: "The iteration order is defined and meaningful, and not
> random." Is this specific enough?

"Meaningful" isn't specific. Meaningful to whom, in what way? Some
people might say that the iteration order of a dict or set is
"meaningful" because it reflects the order of entries in the underlying
hash table. And "not random" is too specific, since there could be many
things which have arbitrary but deterministic and non-random order. Like
sets and dicts.

--
Steven