[Python-ideas] Adding iOS/Android support to Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 14:11:46 CET 2014

On 27 October 2014 11:53, Russell Keith-Magee <russell at keith-magee.com> wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>>
>> Russell Keith-Magee schrieb am 25.10.2014 um 04:20:
>> > Kivy has been around for a few years, with similar goals (although
>> > they've got some different ideas and priorities).
>> >
>> > To date, I've been using the groundwork established by Kivy, which takes
>> > the Python 2.7.1 (for iOS) and Python 2.7.2 (for Android) source code,
>> > applies a bunch of patches, and wraps those in a set of build scripts to
>> > yield Python libraries that can be used on iOS and Android.
>>
>> I assume you're in touch with the Kivy developers to join forces?
>

> We've had some initial introductory conversations on Twitter, but we're not
> working closely on anything at the moment. There's certainly potential for
> collaboration, though.

Some other folks potentially worth contacting:

* Jonathan Hosmer (creator of http://pythonforios.com/)
* Ole Zorn (creator of http://omz-software.com/pythonista/)
* Karl Traunmüller (creator of http://computableapp.com/)

If working on better iOS and Android upstream happens to help bring
those apps to Android as well, that would be a rather nice outcome :)

Cheers,
Nick.