[Python-ideas] Yielding from the command line

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 12 19:25:27 CEST 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 09:20:43AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Anyway, don't most people use IPython these days?

Not so far as I can see from the questions asked on the tutor and
python-list mailing lists. Windows users seem to mostly use IDLE,
Linux users the vanilla Python interactive interpreter, and when a Mac
user asks a question I normally faint from the shock and don't notice
what they're using :-)

According to a recent thread on Reddit, all the cool kids are using
PyCharm, which (I think) has its own REPL.

I have no doubt that there are IPython users, probably mostly in the
scientific community, but if they ask questions on the two mailing lists
above, they're not often copying and pasting IPython sessions into their
posts.

--
Steven