[Python-ideas] Idea: Named code blocks / inline module declarations

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 07:19:52 CEST 2014

I would like to be able to use named sections to organise my code, much an
inline submodules, bit without using classes or functions to organise them.
I would use this if I had a group of related functions which were not
written in an object-oriented-style, possibly due to not needing any shared
state. Rather than break these out into a new file, I would like to just be
able to use internal structure to declare the relationship. I've used the
keyword 'block' to indicate the start of a named block.

For example,

block signin:
     def handle_new_user():
           do_it()

     def handle_existing_user():
           do_it()

while True:
    try:
        signin.handle_existing_user():
    except:
        signin.handle_new_user()

    do_other_stuff()

At the moment, I would have to either break out into more files, or
somewhat clumsily co-opt things like functions or staticmethods. I think
that supporting named blocks or inline module declarations would really
help me organise some of my code much better. It could also provide a more
seamless way to decide to break out into a new file. Once a named block got
big enough, I could easily create a new file and import those functions
into the same namespace.

I hope this makes sense and that I'm not overlooking anything obvious.

Cheers,
-Tennessee