[Python-ideas] The stdlib++ user experience (Was: Introduce `start=1` argument to `math.factorial`)

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Sep 18 20:53:37 CEST 2014

On 09/18/2014 08:26 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

> Every time an issue like this comes up, I know that I'm looking to do
> "pip install XXX". It's working out what XXX is that's the problem.
>
> So I go and ask Google. A quick check on the progress bar case gets me
> to a StackOverflow article that offers me a lot of "write it yourself"
> solutions, and pointers to a couple of libraries. Further down there
> are a few pointers to python-progressbar, which was mentioned in the
> StackOverflow article, which in turn leads me to the PyPI page for it.
> The latest version (2.3-dev) is not hosted on PyPI, so I hit all the
> fun of --allow-external.

I'd recommend searching PyPI itself. This:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=progress+bar

gives about 20 top results that look highly relevant.  A Google search
with "site:pypi.python.org progress bar" also looks like it could have
given you what you wanted.

> Ironically, "pip install tqdm" gives me what I want instantly. But it
> never came up via Google.

It also doesn't come up in the PyPI search, because its PyPI page isn't
exactly very full of information :)

cheers,
Georg