[Python-ideas] The stdlib++ user experience

Akira Li 4kir4.1i at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 14:15:49 CEST 2014

Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:
> 1. Somewhere I can go to find useful modules, that's better than
> Google.

Google is very good at searching programming related topics on the web
compared to other search engines or custom searches on niche sites.

I sporadically try to use alternatives and at best they are good
enough but worse than Google.

If you know any examples to the contrary, please share.

> 2. Someone else choosing the "best option" - I don't want to evaluate
> 3 different progressbar modules, I just want to write "57% complete"
> and a few dots!

The issue is that "best option" is often different for different people
or fashion-driven and therefore transient.

> 3. C extensions aren't a huge problem to me on Windows, although I'm
> looking forward to the day when everyone distributes wheels (wheel
> convert is good enough for now though). [1]

I have the opposite impression.
http://pythonforengineers.com/stop-struggling-with-python-on-windows/

C extensions are not an issue on POSIX systems: there are package
managers (official or not) and the compilers are easily available if you
want the latest and greatest.

> [1] A Linux/OS X user might have more more issues with C extensions.

> PS I should also note that even in its current state, PyPI is streets
> ahead of the 3rd party module story I've experienced for any other
> language - C/C++, Lua, Powershell, and Java are all far worse.
> Perl/CPAN may be as good or better, it's so long since I used Perl
> that I don't really know these days.

Opinions may vary:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/1ew4l5/im_giving_a_demo_of_python_to_a_bunch_of_java/

Or: "The artifact approach is unambiguously better for any production
deployment. The source-based approach found in Ruby, Perl, and Python is
a problem for me more often than a solution."
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7070464

Though wheel binary package format is designed to solve it.

--
Akira