[Python-ideas] Putting `blist` into collections module

Daniel Stutzbach stutzbach at google.com
Mon Sep 22 18:49:13 CEST 2014

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> I have not used blist, but I have no objection to it becoming a
> collections type if the author agrees.

While I would be delighted to see blist in the collections package, I worry
that it would create a burden on other implementations of Python.  I did
make a prototype of blist in Python before I wrote the C implementation,
but the performance of the Python version was abysmal in practice.

> which makes blist an optimization, if and when it is available.

If someone uses blist, it usually means they're relying on the better
asymptotic performance for certain operations, and the code will be
unacceptably slow when using list.

--
Daniel Stutzbach