[Python-ideas] Implicit submodule imports

Thomas Gläßle t_glaessle at gmx.de
Thu Sep 25 12:16:31 CEST 2014

Nathaniel Smith wrote on 09/25/2014 07:07 AM:
> What I'd really like is for module attribute lookup to start
> supporting the descriptor protocol. This would be super-easy to work
> with and fast (you only pay the extra overhead for the attributes
> which have been hooked). -n

I'm not sure, I picture this the same way you intended, but I believe
supporting the descriptor protocol is too confusing and breaks too much
code in many cases. You wouldn't normally expect to execute x.__get__,
etc on module attribute access if you are just trying to export some
object x that happens to be a descriptor.