[Python-ideas] Do we need non-heap types any more? (Was: Implicit submodule imports)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Sep 27 11:00:44 CEST 2014

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I'm sure some of
> this stuff we're stuck with due to backcompat with C extension modules
> that make funny assumptions, but presumably a lot of it could be
> cleaned up -- I think that's what Greg means.

Yes, it's probably not necessary to actually allocate them
on the heap (that would cause big problems for existing
extension modules that assume they can statically declare
them).

But I'm thinking it should be possible to reduce the
differences to the point where that's the *only* distinction,
so the vast majority of code doesn't have to care, and the
same tp_* functions can be used for both.

--
Greg