[Python-ideas] doc anomalies

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:19:19 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would be helpful if you didn't just throw out these questions, but
>> also suggested improvements.
>>

> As for DYNAMICFEATURES the text makes no sense (to me)... so dont know
> what to suggest

You could either suggest the complete removal of this section, or an
improved version of it.

> As for PACKAGES I guess one could come up with a much cut-down and
> pointed version... if that's the intent

Well, that depends on what the goal of that section is. From a quick
read, it is a technical description of the "import" keyword and how
the import mechanism works (it and IMPORTING are actually the same
topic). I too find that somewhat surprising, since that's not the
information I would be looking for when trying to read about
"packages". Rather, I would expect an explanation of what packages
are, and then perhaps how to create them and how they work. It seems
to me that there is room for improvement here.

>> > 2.
>> > Is this the right list for such questions?
>>
>> This list is for ideas for the improvement of Python. Discussing
>> significant changes to documentation and help resources can be
>> relevant here, depending on their nature and breadth.
>
> Well in fact a bunch of my students and myself will be working on
> various sides of python internals.
> Dunno how much will finally be suitable for actual patches and how
> much just mucking around :-)
> So was wondering about the best sources of help/guidance with python internals

Having students poke around the internals sounds great!

python-list is always a good place to start, and definitely the right
place for inquiries when you're not sure what the proper place is.

In this case, I think you should write the core-mentorship list (see
pythonmentors.com for details). It's been quite active lately and you
are likely to receive helpful information, guidance and support for
your initiative.

- Tal