[Python-ideas] Python 3.9.9 - The 'I Have A Dream' Version

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 15 14:28:06 CEST 2015

On 4/15/2015 4:26 AM, Simon Kennedy wrote:

> You're right 'Types' was not the correct term. Is there some term for
> the things that you manipulate in your code

Everything we manipulate with Python is an object that is an instance of
a class.  The instance methods of the class of an object are ultimately
responsible for all manipulations of the object.

 > as opposed to the things which perform the manipulation?

We manipulate with functions (in the gemeral sense of callable), which
are sometime methods and are always objects themselves.  This means that
functions can also be 'manipulated' (created, called, bound, composed,
passed, or returned).

 > Maybe 'operands'?

Operands are arguments of functions 'named' by symbols.

---
I appreciate your desire to write up a master plan of things you would
like to see done.  However, if presented as a package deal, it will be
rejected as it includes compatibility breaks that will not happen.  The
things that are at least somewhat possible will comprise multiple peps.

--
Terry Jan Reedy