[Python-ideas] async/await in Python

Dan O'Reilly oreilldf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:31:20 CEST 2015

This is exciting! I expect this will eliminate some of the confusion I see
from new users of asyncio on StackOverflow.

I'm curious about what this means for asyncio best practices from 3.5
onward, though. Is the use of @asyncio.coroutine/yield from being
deprecated in asyncio once this feature is added? I guess anyone that needs
to write backwards compatible code would need to continue using the old
way, so perhaps not yet? At the very least the docs should probably mention
that the async/wait syntax is available/preferred for code that only needs
to support 3.5+. If you're going the deprecation route, the docs should be
updated to use async/await, and probably just include a note stating that
the old @asyncio.coroutine/yield from method is required to support 3.4 and
lower.