[Python-ideas] Fix that broken callable builtin

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Sat Apr 18 23:27:06 CEST 2015

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's not true; there is a spec for the language, which is
> independent of CPython, PyPy, etc, which are the implementations of
> it.

​I'm not aware of such a document - can you point me to it? AFAIK
`callable` is too old to be in a PEP.​ I hope you didn't have in mind the
"docs as specification", that's not really a specification, it's a "state
of things".

But in this case, the question isn't one of Python vs CPython, but one
> of the use of application-level code. If this is considered a hack,
> then it's not part of the language spec at all, but if it's deemed a
> feature, then (a) every Python implementation will be required to
> match it, and (b) other parts of the language (in this case,
> callable()) will probably be required to acknowledge it.

I wouldn't care about other python implementations, they are years behind
CPython, and this is a very small change anyway. Why would this matter for
them if they still implement python-2.7-language? It doesn't really make
sense, unless you are considering to fix this in 2.7 too.

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro