[Python-ideas] String interpolation for all literal strings

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 6 04:48:10 CEST 2015

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 05:13:41PM -0700, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:

> Guido's specific inspiration was Swift, which is about as
> "applicationy" a language as you can get.

Swift is also barely more than a year old. While it's a very exciting
looking language, it's not one which has a proven long-term record.

I know that everything coming from Apple is cool, but other languages
have had automatic variable interpolation for a long time, e.g. PHP and
Ruby, and Python has resisted joining them. While it's good to
reconsider design decisions, I wonder, what has changed?

--
Steve