[Python-ideas] Is this group via google groups read only?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 01:03:36 CEST 2015

On 22 August 2015 at 07:34, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 8/21/2015 3:05 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to ask Google not to mirror a
>> public mailing list, even when their mirror is a misleading nuisance
>> that the list owners don't actually appreciate :(
>

> There are several technical mailing list archive sites.  I Googled a recent
> python-list post of mine and found it in the top 15 hits at
>
> http://readlist.com/lists/python.org/python-list/67/337183.html
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/1211878
> https://code.activestate.com/lists/python-list/689764/
> https://www.mail-archive.com/python-list@python.org/msg399397.html
>
> These all look to be read-only as far as the site goes, and honestly
> identified as copies, so they only serve to broadcast our message and
> possibly direct people to the original source.

Yep, plenty of folks know how to do public list mirroring and
archiving right. It's only Google that think "But *of course* you want
us to provide a broken confusing web gateway for your non-Google
mailing list, who wouldn't want that?". Plenty of folks were concerned
when they bought Deja News, and those fears turned out to be well
founded :P

Regards,
Nick.