[Python-ideas] Draft2 PEP on string interpolation

Mike Miller python-ideas at mgmiller.net
Thu Aug 27 06:40:54 CEST 2015

With the major design decisions made, behold version 2 of my draft PEP on string
interpolation.

It's now significantly shorter due to removal of most of the i18n related
discussion, pruning, as well as simplification of the prose itself.  I don't
expect many changes from here on:

     https://bitbucket.org/mixmastamyk/docs/src/default/pep/pep-05XX.rst

TL;DR:  Here is a summary table and comparisons with my current understanding of
the other proposals, please correct if they are now out of date:

String Interpolation PEP Comparison
===================================

=================   =================   =================   =================
PEP                 PEP 498             PEP 501             Draft PEP
=================   =================   =================   =================
Name                Format/f-string     Gen. Purpose Str…   Expression-string
Prefix              f''                 i''                 e''
Syntax              str.format()+       .format+Template+   str.format()+
Returns             String join expr…   Object              Object
Immediate Render    Yes                 No                  Yes
Deferred Render     No                  Yes, str, mutable   Yes
I18n Support        No                  Yes                 Input available
Escaping Hook       No                  No                  Yes, manual

The table can be found here and updated via pull-request:

      https://bitbucket.org/mixmastamyk/docs/src/default/pep/pep_comparison.rst

-Mike