[Python-ideas] PEP 485: A Function for testing approximate equality

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Feb 6 00:05:59 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
> wrote:
> > Add an assertIsCloseTo -- whether assertAlmostEquals should be
> deprecated I
> > have no opinion on. Though it is useful, as it acts over a sequence [...]
>
> Are you sure? I don't see any special handling of sequences in its
> docs or code...

The one in unittest doesn't have this feature. However there's
assertApproxEqual defined locally in the test/test_statistics.py package
that does. Since the other is only meant for local use in
test_statistics.py, we should leave it alone. The one in unittest is pretty
bad but widely used; deprecating it won't have any teeth.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)