[Python-ideas] PEP 485: A Function for testing approximate equality

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Feb 7 21:22:22 CET 2015

On Friday, February 6, 2015, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> There seems to be a typo in the PEP:

Got it -- thanks.

> The github link in the PEP gives a 404:
>
> https://github.com/PythonCHB/close_pep/blob/master

Must be the link for when you're logged in -- this one will get you there:

https://github.com/PythonCHB/close_pep

> I don't really want to continue the bike shedding around the PEP, but
> just add a slightly different perspective which might be useful as
> additional comment in the PEP.

Thanks -- I'll see what I can add to the discussion.

Too bad you couldn't easily find the sample code -- your code is
essentially the "asymmetric test" in the sample. And with Nathanial Smith's
suggestion of a zero-tolerance. If the PEP isn't convincing enough as to
why I didn't decide to go that way, then suggested text would be
appreciated.

But in short -- there is more than one way to do it -- most of them would
work fine for most use-cases -- I finally settled on what appeared to be
the consensus for "least surprising".

-Chris