[Python-ideas] Adding "+" and "+=" operators to dict

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sat Feb 14 20:20:14 CET 2015

On 02/13/2015 09:34 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Chris Barker writes:
>
>  > I'm curious what the aversion is to having an operator
>
> Speaking only for myself, I see mathematical notation as appropriate
> for abstractions, and prefer to strengthen TOOWDTI from "preferably"
> to "there's *only* one obvious way to do it" [...]

The problem with that is that what is obvious to one may not be obvious to another.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a hundred ways to do something, obvious or not, or even ten, but two or three should be
within the grasp of most folks, and if each of those two or three groups that found their way "obvious" counted for
80%-90% of the group as a whole, I think we have a win.

This-just-seems-obvious-to-me'ly yours,
--
~Ethan~