[Python-ideas] Treat underscores specially in argument lists

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 13:57:20 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Andrew Barnert <
abarnert at yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid> wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2015, at 18:45, Ryan Gonzalez <rymg19 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's usually in callbacks where you only care about a few arguments.
>

> A perfect example is using Tk variable tracing in tkinter (for validation
> or post-change triggering on widgets). The signature of the trace callback
> is callback(name, index, mode). You almost never need the index, you rarely
> need the mode, so you write:
>
>     def callback(self, name, _, mode):
>
> In fact, you usually don't need the mode either (in fact, you often don't
> even need the name), but you can't write this:
>
>    def callback(self, name, _, _):
>
> So instead you usually write something like:
>
>    def callback(self, name, *_):
>
> Personally, I find *_ ugly, so I use *dummy instead. But whatever.
>
> So anyway, what if you needed the index, but not the name or mode? You
> can't use *_ to get around that; you have to come up with two dummy names.
> That's a bit annoying.
>
> The question is, how often do you really need to ignore multiple
> parameters, but not all of them (or all of them from this point on)? I
> can't remember any callback API that I've used where that came up

Me neither. I remember doing this:

a, _, _, _, b, c = foo

...but never wanting to do a similar thing applied to a function signature.
A function strikes me as something "more important" than "a, _, _, _, b, c
= foo" appearing in the middle of the code, something which mandates
explicitness, even when some args are ignored, in fact I don't remember
ever seeing "def callback(self, name, _)".
-1

--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com