[Python-ideas] Accessible tools

Bryan Duarte bryan0731 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 16:52:10 CET 2015

Honestly I live in VIM in my terminal. I use VIM for everything and even have integrated a VIM plugin to my Eclipse IDE. The commands are easy, and customizable. VI and VIM were built off of "ed" which was the first line editor available on the Unix OS. For this fact it has great integration with the terminal and system utilities. I can write code, compile code, call in external files, save off versions, execute code, without ever living my terminal window. The question is not really if I can read, write, or access the code it is mostly about getting the assistance of the IDE when it comes to "auto complete", and whatever the name is for Python for "intellisense". I know there is the interpreter for quick references and tests but why should I have to use two programs to do what my sighted peers do in one? This is not a direct question this is just the problem I am exploring. Is there a tool out there that can do this for someone who developers with the assistance of a screen reader or is it something to be developed still?

A professor and I were discussing the idea of creating a completely text based IDE for blind developers. Every block of code could be collapsed and expanded with high level information about each block being provided. Every module would be tabular in nature meaning the developer could quickly and easily scan through every block of code as if it were a line of code then hear what is contained in the block. Tools and features would obviously be audible in nature with verbosity customizable.