[Python-ideas] Comparable exceptions

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 00:57:32 CET 2015

Doesn't unittest already cover this?

with self.assertRaisesRegexp(OSError, '^foobar$'):
    do_something()

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Ionel Cristian Mărieș <contact at ionelmc.ro>
wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I was writing a test the other day and I wanted to assert that some
> function raises some exception, but with some exact value. Turns out you
> cannot compare OSError("foobar") to OSError("foobar") as it doesn't have
> any __eq__. (it's the same for all exceptions?)
>
> I think exceptions are great candidates to have an __eq__ method - they
> already have a __hash__ (that's computed from the contained values) and
> they are already containers in a way (they all have the `args` attribute).
>
> Comparing exceptions in a test assertion seems like a good usecase for
> this.
>
> Thanks,
> -- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, blog.ionelmc.ro

Ryan
If anybody ever asks me why I prefer C++ to C, my answer will be simple:
"It's becauseslejfp23(@#Q*(E*EIdc-SEGFAULT. Wait, I don't think that was
nul-terminated."
Personal reality distortion fields are immune to contradictory evidence. -
srean
Check out my website: http://kirbyfan64.github.io/