[Python-ideas] Show deprecation warnings in the interactive interpreter

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Feb 25 20:58:15 CET 2015

On Feb 25, 2015 11:23 AM, "Serhiy Storchaka" <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25.02.15 19:49, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>>
>> (NB that if we do this we'll run into another annoying problem with
>> warnings and the REPL, which is that every line typed in the REPL is
>> "line 1", so generally any given warning will only be produced once even
>> if the offending behavior occurs in multiple different statements. This
>> tends to really confuse users, since it means you can't use trial and
>> error to figure out what was wrong with your code: whatever tweak you
>> try first will always appear to fix the problem. Some more discussion of
>> this issue here: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/6680)
>

> Every REPL input can be considered as different source.

Well, yes, and they ought to be considered different sources. My point is
just that at the moment they aren't considered different sources, so if
we're worrying about doing better warning reporting from the REPL then we
might want to think about this too, since it will limit the effectiveness
of other efforts.

-n