[Python-ideas] Show deprecation warnings in the interactive interpreter

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 23:39:46 CET 2015

Hi,

Python has more and more options to emit warnings or enable more checks.
Maybe we need one global "strict" option to simply enable all checks and
warnings at once?

For example, there are deprecation warnings, but also resource warnings.
Both should be enabled in the strict mode. Another example is the -bb
command line option (bytes watning). It should also be enabled. More
example: -tt (warnings on indentation).

It can be a command line option, an environment variable and a function to
enable it.

Perl has "use strict;".

For the interactive interpreter, the strict code may be enabled by default,
but only if it's easy to disable it.

Victor