[Python-ideas] Show deprecation warnings in the interactive interpreter

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 26 01:20:10 CET 2015

On 2/25/2015 4:28 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 02/24/2015 11:51 PM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
>
>> What you are think about turning deprecation warnings on by default
 >> in the interactive interpreter?
>
> -1
>
> One can use the commandline switch if one wants to.

A change limited to the interactive interpreter would be meaningless for
everyone who works at a simulated prompt in a gui program running on
non-interactive python, or running user code under supervision in
non-interactive python.  This includes both modes of Idle (default and
-n).  I presume this includes nearly any other alternative to the
console interpreter.

On Windows, the actual Command Prompt interactive interpreter is a
wretched environment.  I only use it to start Idle on repository builds
and to check whether Idle does the same thing as the console
interpreter.  I suspect that many users on Windows never see the console
interpreter, just as they many never see a command prompt command line.

--
Terry Jan Reedy