[Python-ideas] Show deprecation warnings in the interactive interpreter

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 26 01:47:12 CET 2015

On 2/25/2015 6:27 PM, random832 at fastmail.us
wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015, at 16:45, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 2/25/2015 3:39 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
>>> Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com>

>> I don't really get the point.  It seems to me that the idea is to have
>> warnings optionally on during development, always off during production.
>>    Most development, especially of 'permanent' code, does not take place
>> at the interactive prompt.
>
> I think the idea is that people experiment at the interactive prompt and
> warnings will help them learn good habits.

People often experiment with files in editors when writing statements
longer than a line or two or when writing multiple statements.  Leaving
that aside, people also experiment at *simulated* interactive prompts in
guis, such as Idle, that run on Python in normal batch mode.  In either
case, changing interactive mode python will have no effect and no benefit.

--
Terry Jan Reedy