[Python-ideas] Reprs of classes and functions

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 03:03:02 CET 2015

My first response seems to have bounced, so:

Besides backward compatibility, there's still a minor downside to that: the current behavior helps catch some novice errors, like storing a function instead of calling the function and storing its return value. Printing `<function spam.cook`> instead of the expected `spam, spam, eggs, beans, spam` is a lot more obvious than seeing `cook` alone. But as I said, it's pretty minor. It's still not _that_ hard to understand from `cook`, especially if you ask someone for help, and this is the kind of mistake that novices only make once (and usually ask for help with). The benefit to everyone surely outweighs the small cost to novices.

Sent from a random iPhone