[Python-ideas] Show deprecation warnings in the interactive interpreter

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 26 03:38:04 CET 2015

> Well, you can turn warnings or off using a command line flag or by
> making calls into the warnings module, so everyone who emulates a REPL
> can copy this behavior. I'm not worried about that.

See my later response to Nick.  After adding the one line to my
installed 3.4.3 idlelib/run.py, the runtime DeprecationWarning raised by
   from ftplib import Netrc; Netrc()
is displayed, whether the above is entered in the Shell or run from the
editor. I would not mind adding the one line to run.py (for all current
versions) and being done with it.  Idle is mostly intended for development.

Making the warning display optional would be far, far harder.

As I said previously, I do not know for sure if there are compile-time
DeprecationWarnings to try to deal with.

--
Terry Jan Reedy