[Python-ideas] Adding `pathlib.Path` method that would send file to recycle bin

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Fri Jan 2 14:30:43 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015, at 07:35, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> The os module is for low-level operating-system functions. "Send to
> trash" is neither low-level nor part of the OS per se, it is part of the
> desktop environment.

What is the correct place for high-level functions that need to be
implemented in a different way on each OS? I think the problem is that
some people view os as "low-level functions, like the ones found in
unistd.h" and other people view it as "where to put stuff that needs a
separate implementation per platform".

The actual description in the documentation is "This module provides a
portable way of using operating system dependent functionality." Nothing
about low-level.