[Python-ideas] Adding `pathlib.Path` method that would send file to recycle bin

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 12:04:24 CET 2015

On Jan 3, 2015, at 11:39, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I agree with this, but it still might be nice to mention that third-party module in shutil and/or pathlib.
>
> Maybe. Is there a mention of other third-party packages in stdlib
> docs? It's a slippery slope; which ones deserve mention? Maybe just
> something like "Note that moving objects to the trash can is possible
> in OS-dependent ways; packages are available on PyPI to make this
> easier", without naming any.

The impression I get is that this is a slope that Python (or at least Nick Coghlan) wants to start sliding down--with the advent of wheels and pre-installed pip, keeping things out of the stdlib but still accessible for most users is now possible, and often desirable. But I could be putting words (or complete ideas) in people's mouths.