[Python-ideas] Add OS-dependent automatic glob support

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jan 5 05:19:16 CET 2015

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > In any case, having a platform specific globbing module

By "platform-specific", do you mean one module that handles all
platforms appropriately (what this thread is about), or do you mean
per-platform modules (what "platform-specific" means to me)?

 > is looking more and more useful.  Does this need a PEP?

If you're really serious about putting it in the stdlib, I would
certainly think so.  It's absolutely clear that the solution is going
to be complicated and hard to understand.  Without a PEP, nobody will
know what is and what is not a bug.  Likely even with a PEP a lot of
people will claim the PEP is buggy no matter what it says!  I would
hope the different specs will partition the complainers, but I'm not
even sure of that. ;-)