[Python-ideas] python on mobile

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 14:25:08 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 6:40 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 December 2014 at 13:42, Russell Keith-Magee <russell at keith-magee.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Fetchinson . writes:
>>>
>>>  > > I'm not sure exactly what would be discussed [on mobile-sig],
>>>  > > especially in the short term when the big ticket item is getting
>>>  > > the patches into the main Python tree.
>>>
>>> It probably matters more that there *is* substantive discussion than
>>> *what* is discussed.  There are probably a lot of people who are far
>>> more interested in "how to do 'it' *now*" than "get 'it' into the main
>>> Python tree 'someday'", for example.
>>

>> I'm not sure if a mailing list would help with this as much as a good,
>> simple set of docs. It's not like there's unknown territory here; once
>> you've got Python installed on a mobile device, the "how" is reasonably
>> easy. The catch is that someone with Python experience won't necessarily
>> have experience managing a cross-platform C/Automake build, which is what
>> you need to get Python installed in the first place.
>

> One of the benefits of a SIG over python-ideas is that their remit can be
> broader than just CPython.

I'd like to see a mobile-sig, because I think there's enough to
discuss that isn't relevant to -dev. I plan to get IronPython running
on Xamarin Android/iOS sometime this year so it would be helpful to
coordinate things with CPython and Jython - for example, what the
values will be for things like sys.platform and os.name will be, and
issues around file system emulation, supported modules, etc. that
should be compatible for all implementations.

Plus there's the issue of new libraries for sensors, GPS, cameras,
etc. that provide Pythonic wrappers over the platform APIs. It's not
just "get CPython working on mobile" but "how should Python look &
feel on mobile devices". (Of course, CPython is special so it's
implementation details are still fair game.)

So +1 on mobile-sig from me. I'll even volunteer to get it set up &
administer it, if no one else is dying to.

- Jeff