[Python-ideas] Encouraging more use of the Python wiki

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 6 20:31:41 CET 2015

If you ask me the bigger problem with the Wiki is not how to encourage or
manage small edits, it is how to deal with the entire wiki gradually
getting out of date due to page "owners" losing interest or topics becoming
irrelevant. (A random example:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/MostPopularPythonProjects is 10 years old,
which makes it actively harmful given its lofty title and linkage from
other pages.)

An early Python contributor, Ken Manheimer, described the necessary
activity as "wiki gardening". We need more wiki gardeners, people who have
an eye for the big picture and actively edit content, not just guards who
passively judge contribute proposed changes (even that's also needed --
Python is sufficiently well-known that the wiki would attract a lot of spam
and occasional vandalism if it was completely open).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)