[Python-ideas] Encouraging more use of the Python wiki

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:48:25 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> I have very little opinion on what the wiki is or does but I wanted to
> just say if at some point we do switch software then with my infrastructure
> team hat on I would ask for two properties to exist in the software (not
> really specific to the wiki tbh):
>
> 1. Configuration that is able to be handled via config management like
> salt/chef/puppet etc. Typically this just means that the configuration is
> handled via a text file and the software itself doesn’t attempt to write to
> the configuration as part of it’s normal execution.

+1

* http://psf-salt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
* https://github.com/python/psf-salt

> 2. State does not need to be stored on the local file system and instead
> can be stored in something like a database (preferably PostgreSQL) or an
> object store (preferably cloudfiles). This allows us to treat the servers
> running the software as emphereal with all of the state stored elsewhere.
> This makes it easier to manage the servers, makes it easier to recover from
> security issues on a server, makes it easier to upgrade the server, and
> makes it easier to scale the service in general.
>
> Of the two, the first property is the most important, but the second one
> is a really good idea too.

re: persistence

* difflib
* hg diff
* git diff

structured data

* http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Tools (RDF; FreeBase is moving to WikiData)
* https://westurner.github.io/wiki/tools
* https://westurner.github.io/dotfiles/tools.html#python
* https://westurner.github.io/dotfiles/_sources/tools.txt (this is the
simplest ReST markup I could think of, a sphinxcontrib-rdf directive/role
could be really useful, but wouldn't work w/ GitHub wikis without a Sphinx
compile step) :

.. index:: Python
> .. _python:

Python
> =================
> | Wikipedia: `<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(programming_language)
> >`_
> | Homepage: https://www.python.org/
> | Docs: https://docs.python.org/2/
> | Docs: https://docs.python.org/devguide/
> | Docs: https://docs.python.org/devguide/documenting.html
> | Docs: http://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/python/
> | Source: hg https://hg.python.org/cpython

Python is a dynamically-typed, :ref:`C`-based third-generation
> programming language.

 [...]