[Python-ideas] Encouraging more use of the Python wiki

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 7 00:04:02 CET 2015

On 06.01.2015 23:11, Wes Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06.01.2015 20:44, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Skip Montanaro <
>> skip.montanaro at gmail.com>

>> due

>> gardeners
>> wind
>> limit:
>>>>

>>> Nice one, and agreed. I don't see anyone with a serious wish to be a
>> master
>>> gardener for wiki.python.org in this sense though. :-( Perhaps we should
>>> advertise the position? It's a volunteer role, but will require a lot of
>>> motivation. Ideally the master gardener team should be allowed to select
>>> the tool suite and be given permission to switch to a new suite pretty
>>> aggressively. The team should also be responsible for deciding on the
>>> policy for edit access. This seems more workable than having an
>> open-ended
>>> discussion on python-ideas.
>>
>> Such discussions should really happen on pydotorg-www where
>> that team already works. We do have several people who maintain pages
>> or page sets on the wiki, but more editorial help is always welcome.

Yep, that's the list.

> https://www.python.org/dev/pydotorg/website/

That page explains the old python.org website system. It
doesn't have anything to do with wiki.python.org.

>> We need people who have experience in technical writing and
>> a passion to maintain informational resources.
>>
>> FWIW: A change of tools won't magically give us better content.
>>

> A boost in familiar usability could encourage effortless contributions.

The wiki does support ReST syntax if you don't like the wiki
markup:

http://moinmo.in/HelpOnParsers/ReStructuredText

and it also supports WYSIWYG editing using FCKeditor (even though
the generated markup code doesn't look all that nice).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 06 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/